Why I joined the United Methodist Motorcycle Association

I felt moved to write this on behalf of the United Methodist Motorcycle Association (UMMA) and it’s founders, Eddie and Patty Gill, and their magnificent ministry.  I was formerly a member of another prominent motorcycle ministry but became disenchanted because I felt something was missing.  It seemed the focus was not on ministry. I eventually left that organization, on good terms I might add, and began to minister on my own with my motorcycle, talking to anyone I came across….mostly in parking lots. During that time, I became a certified lay minister in the United Methodist Church and the motorcycle ministry just felt like a very good fit between the two.  I felt a strong call to reach out to those in the community or the unchurched and the motorcycle afforded me a tool to do that.  I then came across the UMMA website and felt an immediate connection.  Their mission is to “Take the church out of the 4 walls” and meet people where they are….taking the church to them since they probably will not come to the church.  I also love the vision of “a million miles for Christ.”    In the spirit of the original circuit riders, which were a lot of times laity, I felt very much in tune with that being in laity myself and traveling on an “iron horse”.  I felt this was the quality ministry that I wanted to be a part of.

I then joined and the day my application was accepted, I received a phone call for Eddie and Patty.  You have not idea what that meant to me.  Throughout the year, I was in contact with Eddie and Patty and they guided and encouraged me in getting the ministry started in Maryland.  We then began to hold conversations about them visiting us in Maryland and it came to fruition in July of 2017.  I first met Eddie and Patty at a campground about an hour away from me in Williamsport PA.  I finally saw the Jesus bus in person.  When Eddie walked out of the camper, I felt an instant connection with both he and Patty.  We spent 4 hours just talking about the ministry, how it began, and its direction.  We were on the same page with virtually every aspect of the ministry.  We talked about how we wanted to avoid the legalism that plagues many motorcycle ministries and how we were more interested in having disciples spread out through the states spreading the Gospel and the love of Jesus….meeting people where they are in life. We both agreed that a quality ministry was more important and are not focused on merely recruiting members to build up our numbers.  The ministry will grow as God leads and we both believe and have faith in that.  After our time talking, we went to get some lunch and during that time, we had a warm conversation with our waitress and found she was dealing with some difficult issues.  She was happy we spoke with her and before we left, we prayed with her.  That is what this ministry is about.

I had the joy and pleasure to spend time with Eddie and Patty for the next week and a half and I was so impressed at how they were “magnets” to people.  They both truly live the vision and mission of UMMA. I met them the next day in Frederick to lead them to their campsite here in Frederick MD.   We first made a stop to get gas.  A gentleman saw us…..myself on my motorcycle, and Eddie and Patty in the Jesus bus and he approached us, asking what we were all about.  Eddied explained the ministry, and before we left, we prayed with him right there in the middle of the gas station next to the pumps.  Again, that is what this ministry is about.  Before we parted ways, we invited him to join us at the church service, and ride after, held that Sunday.  He showed up for the service and joined us in the ride after.  He told Eddie after, that no one had ever invited him to church and no one had ever invited him to ride with them.  He told Eddie how much he enjoyed “hanging out” with us.   You see, UMMA took the church to this person…..again, this is what we are all about.  We both keep in contact with this person, and in the following weeks, he has attended services at my church.

That evening we participated in a local firemans parade.  It amazed me the reaction the bus with Jesus on the side created.  People literally left their seats and came up to the bus during the parade.  Children yelled, “It’s Jesus on that bus”.  I witnessed first hand how this ministry reaches those in the community and holds such a positive effect on them.

During my time with Eddie and Patty, I truly witnessed the Holy Spirit at work through both of them.  I know, for myself, they truly lit a fire within me to witness for the Lord.  I cannot say enough for Eddie and Patty as people of God, motorcycle evangelists and modern day circuit riders.  They are truly an inspiration to me and their mere presence has increased my desire to minister to those who are lost.  They, and the UMMA ministry, touch souls.  UMMA, in my mind is such an important ministry...a unique ministry and needs to be supported the the United Methodist Church.  The UMMA is in direct alignment with the vision of the United Methodist Church which is to make disciples of Jesus for the transformation of the world.  John Wesley said, “the world is our parish”, and that is exactly how UMMA views it’s ministry.  Robert Strawbridge, who is recognized as the person responsible for beginning the methodist movement in the United States, and who just happens to be laity, a circuit rider and started the movement right here in Frederick County, was said to have “ignited the flames of American Methodism”, and his wife, Elizabeth, was a true witness of Jesus Christ in that she is credited with the very first Methodist conversion in the United States.  (www.strawbridgeshrine.com)  In my mind, UMMA is important and invaluable ministry and needs to be supported.

Comments

  1. I am a pastor at Alapaha UMC and I too belonged to another very good Christian Motorcycle Association. I felt like the group was more of a eat/ride group.
    I ran across a story about Eddie & Patie in the Advocate. I contacted Eddie and to find out he was headed to Daytona Bike week, his route of travel was taking him by my house. He and Patie stayed a couple of days. Everyone in the community loves them.
    Hopefully 2018 will see a growth in the UMMA in south GA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you still writing and riding?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harrison's Introduction To UMMA

A biker Goes To Church